Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Woman in a Man's World?

When I was in college, God started tugging my heart towards ministry. I was certain of His call, but I was uncertain of what that looked like for me. Over time, through a series of people and events, I felt that He was leading me to be involved in youth ministry. Once again, I was uncertain of what that looked like for me. I had never really seen a woman working in youth ministry...all the women I had seen in ministry worked with children. But I felt strongly that teenage girls also needed someone to look up to, to relate to, and just to talk to.

I'm still passionate about the need for women in ministry (and more specifically in youth ministry), but I realize that sometimes it's just a hard place for a woman. And I know I'm not alone...

I received an email this week from a friend and colleague. She explained that some girls "are starting a single, staff girls mentoring, ministry training, how to live and work at our church, bible study-ish group." The point of this group is not to be a negative, complaining or gossipy time, but to encourage each other and talk about some of these types of topics:
  • personal boundaries

  • how to work with people you may not always get along with

  • how to deal with others in your office

  • how to work at our church specifically

  • your calling in life, how to have a personal life

  • how to deal with the constant busyness of ministry

I'm really looking forward to joining this group and just having an opportunity to talk with women who know exactly what it's like. Don't get me wrong, I love working with the guys in our office, but there are days when I'm very thankful that there are other women here.

If you're a woman in youth ministry and your looking for some encouragement yourself, check out this book called Help I'm a Woman in Youth Ministry and maybe start your own group.

No comments: