Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lessons from the (Round) Top

We just got back from our Youth Staff Retreat today. We met together for two and half days at the Round Top Retreat Center.


Let's face it sometimes meetings are kind of draining. In order to keep myself focused and entertained, I keep a tally for each person in the room with awkward moments, awkward quotes, and things that just make me laugh. I give people points for things like: falling asleep, talking too much or talking at the wrong time, cell phones ringing, wearing their clothes in funny ways, using made up words and funny phrases, or even for getting up to go to the bathroom at the wrong time.



I've convinced myself that it actually helps me pay attention. In the midst of tallying awkward points, and writing down funny quotes, I sometimes catch some meaningful words as well.
Here are a few of the words that challenged me the most during our retreat:

"Don't let lack of creativity or fear of rejection be a fatal flaw for you."
-Eric H

"If you fail you fail, who cares."-Michael H.

"You
will
consistently mess up." -Jordan E.

"Don't take yourself so
seriously."
-Eric H.

"We are all completely unqualified to do the
things we do."
-Jordan E.

"You are not God's gift to the church"
-Eric H.

"Value and thank God for the church."-Eric H.

Sounds
simple
enough, but "Attend Worship." -Brian M.

"God. Family.
Ministry. In that
order." -Michael H.

"Intimacy with God doesn't not
just require, but
demands sacrifice." -Ryan M.

"It's hard to
minister to students you
don't love and it's hard to love students you don't
know-get to know them."
-Jordan E.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

When I read this I laughed out loud because my roommate last year has me addicted to doing this. You are right. It really does help you to notice the important things too, and keep you awake so you don't end up on someone else's funny talley. HAHA. So I got a blog like you recommended and my next post is gonna be the things I have recorded this semester so far.