Thursday, April 2, 2009

Still Unpacking...

Our Junior High Ministry went on a mission trip to Biloxi, Mississippi for Spring Break...it's two weeks later and I'm still unpacking.




Yesterday, as I was going through one of my bags, I found a list that I made on the bus ride home. We had each of the students on our bus share one word to sum up their favorite part of the trip. This is what they said:
  • Acceptance
  • Worship
  • Roof
  • Jesus
  • Helping
  • Mall
  • Praising
  • Growth
  • Sleep
  • Joy
  • Shopping
  • Snuggles
  • Water
  • Moose
  • Michael
  • Sprayed
  • Everything
  • Kenny
  • Serving
  • Changes
  • Shrimp
  • Basketball
  • Hammering
  • Patience
  • Bus
  • Friendship
  • Food
  • Work
  • Tater-tots
  • Laughter
  • Teamwork

It's funny to see how each student took away something different from this trip. While some of these things were silly, a few of them were deep. Whether it's a fun memory that allows a student to feel like a part of the group, or a life changing moment that impacts them forever, it's worth it.

One thing I took away from this trip was the feeling of a "youth group" that is often missing in a large student ministry. It was nice to connect with a small group of students and see them interact with and encourage each other. I have so many memories of silly, embarrasing, and life changing moments from the trips that my youth group took together when I was their age. I'm happy to see them having the same kind of experiences.

So while I'm still unpacking my luggage, I hope that their still unpacking the memories and lessons they learned on Spring Break '09. And I'm off to do some more laundry!

No comments: